Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Round Two: Over

Round two of chemo ended yesterday. Apparently when you go in the nurses map the veins on the back of your hands like cartographers. The second round was pretty much the same as the first one, except that the feelings of tiredness have come on a little quicker this time. The hiccups are also back, but hopefully will be gone within a day or two, like they were last time. My dad is feeling OK, but taking things easy.

My dad's middle brother, Don, came up from Gettysburg, PA, last night to spend the weekend with him in New York. It's unusual, maybe unprecedented, for them to have a weekend to spend only with each other, so it's actually quite special. They kicked it off with chemo (such excitement!) and then stopped by the Container Store and Tip Top Shoes.

They have Bruna with them. It's like two men and a little lady (the movie, with those of you with kids born in the '80s). Tonight they're seeing Ilya and Don's daughter, Amelia,who is in New York interviewing for a prestigious law school scholarship to NYU.

My dad's hair is starting to fall out, which he doesn't like, but seems to have accepted ("big deal").  His friend Nadiya told him, "this is all part of your shaman's journey."

8 comments:

  1. I know how difficult this gets...I found listening to music very soothing. The fatigue was difficult to deal with, but giving in to naps was quite wonderful...no guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful and receptive you your insights, Michele. Who feels it, knows it. My energy, physical and emotional, is picking up today. For that, I'm grateful. I'm reading, watching B'Ball games and movies on TCM. No guilt.

      Delete
  2. It was good brother time, the first time we've been alone with each other since we lived in New Jersey, before I went away to college--a very long time ago. Eddie did a good imitation of Tim Conkling dancing--flattering to both of them--and we had good walks and talks. I don't know anyone who looks as good in a beret as Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to more times together, Don. Your listening and support feel so good.

      Delete
  3. Hi everybody! It is great to hear that round 2 is over! How do you feel, Eddie? What do the doctors say? We had two weeks vacation and went to Praha, Jihlava, and also skiing to Italy for 4 days. On Easter Monday there was a snow storm in Jihlava. There are no signs winter is over. Everybody says hi and sends love! P&J&S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Petra and Jirka,
      I'm doing ok. The days right after chemo are challenging. One, I'm dealing with the actual chemicals they inject me with; and two, the steroids they use in the chemicals keep me from being nauseated. But when I chemo is over I do feel a drop off in physical and emotional energy. Happily, today, Sunday, I'm feeling better.

      Don visited with me over the week end and we had a great time together. He's so supportive!
      Your lives and travels sound like fun. Here, I'm doing well and concentrating on getting better.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you're hanging in there, dear Eddie, and having a good weekend with big brother. Sounds like you bounce back pretty well after a few days. We'll be thinking of you with much love on your upcoming birthday. There will be many more and they will be cancer-free!

    ReplyDelete