Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chemo, Finito

Before Eddie got cancer, I didn't really understand what chemo was. Technically, I knew that powerful chemicals were involved. But I had no clear picture of exactly how these chemicals got into the body, or why the word "chemo" invariably makes people shudder.

Now I know it's just an IV conducting clear liquids into the patient's bloodstream. When a person gets chemo at MSK, they and their guests are entitled to free tea and coffee, and unlimited honey graham crackers. The staff are astonishingly kind and upbeat, NOT in an I-actually-feel-sorry-for-you way. In some sense, chemo is not as bad as you may have heard.

In other ways, it's pretty rotten. A few days after chemo, the dreaded chemicals make Eddie sluggish and despairing. Saturdays seem to always be the worst, with his spirits brightening again by Sunday or Monday. So whether you believe in good vibes or not, please send him some this weekend!

We're only beginning to learn about the next steps, including bladder surgery. Of course we'll keep you posted as we learn more.

Meanwhile, raise a glass of whatever you happen to be drinking, and let's toast Eddie for completing the final round of chemo. A few missing hairs notwithstanding, You look great!

Aaron Hicklin (l.), Eddie (r.)

10 comments:

  1. Eddie, you look fabulous bald. Not everyone has a good "head" for it, but fortunately you do. What a nice picture of you and Aaron. And really, congratulations for being such a champ through all of this. As you know, the Watts Family is sure rooting for you. Love you, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meredith,
      Thanks for your appreciation of my newly revealed pate. It's taking a little getting used to, so your enthusiasm really helps.
      I do sometimes enjoy just rubbing it. Meanwhile, the stream of love and encouragement continue to buoy me on this journey.

      Delete
  2. Hi Eddie,
    We're thinking of you here too and wishing you all the best..
    Lots of love from Michael, Kiki and all your other friends at Kikim....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michael and Kiki, Receiving your encouraging, positive wishes is making for a better, shorter post chemo funk. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. Back in 1998, I won a Bronze ITVA award for Best Cinematography in a corporate video. It was my first award and i was so proud. Prudential: Map 4. That was the start of many more to come. A bit more prestigious as the years went by. ITVA, NY Festival, Cine Golden Eagle and then the Emmy.

    I treasure the Bronze ITVA the most. It was the first job that i worked on with the brilliant Eddie Marritz. Little did i know that one day of filming in Newark would lead to us traveling the world on much larger productions. Liberia, Cairo, New Orleans, Houston, Long Beach, Cleveland, Hammersville and the list goes on...and will continue to go on!

    15 years in the blink of an eye. I cherish every experience. Always learning from the Master. As i call him, Yoda. I also call him Cinemanavigator! Guaranteed to make a wrong turn in every city we visit. Siri gets pretty pissed at him.

    Eddie has encouraged me to be a better producer/director. He's taught me how to tell a story. How to listen. I'm fortunate to have him as a mentor, co-worker and friend.

    All of my strength is with him during this time. Even my hairstyle!

    Best-
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful, Brian, for your kind and thoughtful remembrances, as well as your looking forward to a bright future. It means sooo much.

      Delete
  4. Finito! Bravo!
    You have a nicely shaped head, Eddie. And you look very now!
    Looking forward to further encouraging reports.
    Love from all the Ruckers to all the Marritzes, Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you guys! I'm getting used to this new look, but I won't miss the chemo after effects. Yes, I'm all for more encouraging news on the horizon. Staying positive, clear-eyed.

      Delete
  5. Hi Eddie, hi all,
    great to hear that it is over! Eddie you look great in the picture. I hope there will be more good news soon. Here all well. Cheers with our home-brewed beer! Petra & Jirka

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, you two! Glad all is well in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete