Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

"Nice carpeting and well-appointed furniture"

Today was our dad's PET scan. This will reveal whether the cancer has metastasized anywhere else in his body. Here's what he wrote to me afterward:

This part of the hospital was like a posh conference center. Nice carpeting and well-appointed furniture. As Ilya met us in the lobby, they called to make sure I was indeed planning to come in for my PET Scan. I got injected with a radioactive isotope and then drank a watery raspberry drink to help make a good picture. This took about an hour. I read a Vanity Fair article about the man who wrote to novel "Lost Weekend," made into a multiple Oscar winner by Billy Wilder. Finally, they came and got me. I laid down on a palette and then the pretty girl warned me not to move. They slid me into the (space time) donut and proceeded to make images which Dr. Bajorin will interpret before my Tuesday morning appointment next week. Like I say, uneventful. I don't need / want drama EVERY day, now do I? Going crosstown on the M66 at the moment. Hana's up front, Ilya's standing a few feet away. I'm radioactive and not supposed to hug anyone too closely for the next 24 hours. Except Bruna.
So: waiting and more waiting. I'm glad the facilities at MSK are so nice; hospitals and treatment centers can be pretty depressing.

They go back up to the dacha tomorrow; chemo begins on Tuesday. We should have the PET scan results back by then. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leda, thanks again for keeping the updates coming. All the waiting must be excruciating, and especially so for you being so far away... I had a lovely talk with Eddie the other day, great to hear his voice and that he is totally Eddie. We are thinking about you all and sending much love, Molly & Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie, thank you for this beautifully written account. I feel like we were right there with you.

    ReplyDelete