Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Swamp Thing

Hey, everyone. Long time no blog!

It's been seven weeks since the surgery - not a long time in the normal world, but an eternity in a post-op existence. There's no way to sugarcoat this: recovery is a bitch.

Eddie has had a couple of infections since being home, one of which landed him back at Memorial on August 4th with a fever, shakes, and a high white blood cell count. While infections are common during recovery, I don't think any of us was anticipating Eddie would get one - much less that it could take so much out of him. To be back in the hospital so shortly after the surgery was dispiriting to say the least (in a recent email to me he called in the "kidney infection swamp"), but he weathered it like a champ.

The good news is that the doctors did a lot of testing in order to give him a super targeted antiobiotic, the infection has been eradicated, and he is feeling much better. His recovery is back on track and he's gaining energy. His appetite, both literal and metaphorical, is growing (which is good, because he lost quite a bit of weight). The juicers are whirring. He is training his new bladder, which is a slow business, but medically he is right on track.

Perhaps best of all - his hair is growing in. Brother Don is visiting this week, and then Eddie will return to the dacha for some country living.
 
Eddie and the water lillies
 

6 comments:

  1. He's eating. He's strong. He almost needs a haircut. Look out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie:

    Sorry the course has been so rocky.
    Fever and shaking chills sucks.
    How are you sleeping these days?
    Glad you are again home.
    Can't wait until; you are looking way back on this tough experience.
    Jill and I think and pray for you and Leda.
    Glad you have had family to lean on.

    Love
    Don and Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better, stronger every day now. Thanks for your warm concern. I'm getting there...Love,Eddie

      Delete
  3. Sorry I have taken so long to respond. I blame this all on your doctors. They never tell you really what to expect and minimize recovery, depression associated with such an invasive procedure and anaesthetic. I experience all of this with Michael and, more recently, a friend who underwent 10 hours of back surgery. Her doctors did not prepare her for the difficulties ahead; did not mention that she should get a toilet seat raiser, a walker and a whole slew of other things. Just told her that after a few months she could do anything - not mentioning residual pain and need for extensive physical therapy. I guess physicians don't want to plant ideas in one's head, but they are NOT at all helpful. It takes a year to get over all that anaesthetic alone! I think life is all about expections met or expections deceived. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, in so many ways, you're right about this. I think if they had told me all that might lie ahead, it's possible I would have hesitated to act as I did. And then what? So hard to know. Fortunately, I'm getting stronger every day and learning to combine being active with taking it easy. Also, it's taking patience ( which I expect, as in 'expectations') to train the new bladder. It's just good to feel like I'm on the upswing after spending too long in the swamp.

    ReplyDelete